March 26, 2014

More thoughts on that all-consuming SBS alien-earthling romance

Finally, life can go back to normal. Teddy and I finished watching "You Who Came From The Stars" (also known as "My Love From Another Star") two days ago.

What am I feeling now? Mostly, a sense of relief it's over - no, not because it's bad (far from it), but because it was so intense chasing the series. We didn't do anything else besides watch TV in the evenings for nearly 2 weeks. Sigh, basically I have been deprived from Korean dramas for too long. Once I started on a series this good, I could not stop! Crazy, I know. But it was a good kind of crazy while it lasted. :)

I don't think I need to give another blow-by-blow synopsis of this insanely popular drama series. Too many other fans have done a much better job. If at all, I shall just say that it is a superbly executed blend of romance, humor and mystery. Jeon Ji Hyun absolutely shone in the show with her no-holds-barred portrayal of the lovable Cheon Song Yi. Kim Soo Hyun's Do Min Joon-sshi was a gem too, but I thought he didn't have as much scope to play with because of his role. After all, he is a 400 year-old alien stuck on Earth - the fellow has seen everything. So can you blame him for always looking rather cold and unemotional? But to his credit, the few emotional scenes he had were very well done. I thought he was really good at crying his heart out.

(Prof. Do Min Joon's heartrending tears)

"You Who Came From The Stars" would score a perfect 10 in my book if it had ended more thoughtfully, and not caved in so blatantly to viewers' demand (especially the last episode with the uncut epilogue). Although I rate this as a definite keeper, there are story elements that even a fan like me can't fully accept. I mean, wormholes? That was such a cop-out. It felt like a hurriedly put-together ending to wrap the story after the screenwriter ran out of steam. Yes, it was a sweet ending to one of the best rom-coms ever, but somehow it felt vaguely unsatisfying to me. What do you think?

(The too-perfect ending to an otherwise perfect rom-com)


No comments: